Sunday, February 14, 2010

Teaching Books: What's Worth Fighting for Out There by Andy Hargreaves and Michael Fullan

[I'm not going to try to review the books I'm reading as part of my transition to becoming an educator. However, I do want to at least do summaries, both for myself and if anyone's interested. Consider these mini-reviews, if you will.]

Recommended by my former boss, this book discusses the need for schools--and in particular, teachers and principals--to reach out into the community and partner with parents, students, and others to make education work. It argues that the more a school isolates itself, the harder it is to make sure that learning is happening, and the easier it is for outside sources to make decisions that ultimately do not help make teachers better or schools more effective.

There is a strong emphasis on making learning student-centered, bringing hope to those who need it, and refusing the idea of doing things just because that's the way it's always been done.

Part of a series of books by the same authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment